English Name / Common Name : Bitter Gourd / Bitter melon
Sanskrit / Indian Name : Karavella, Karela
Karela is rich in iron and has twice the beta-carotene of broccoli, twice the potassium of bananas, twice the calcium of spinach, and contains vitamins C and B 1 to 3, phosphorus and good dietary fiber. At least 32 (Thirty Two) active constituents have been identified in bitter melon so far, including beta-sitosterol-d-glucoside, GABA, lutein , citrulline, lycopene and zeaxanthin. Nutritional analysis reveals that bitter melon is also rich in potassium, iron, beta-carotene, calcium, vitamins B1, B2, B3 and C.
It grows in tropical areas, including parts of the East Africa , Amazon, Asia, the Caribbean, and throughout South America, where it is used as a food as well as a medicine. It's a slender, climbing annual vine with long stalked leaves producing yellow solitary female and male flowers borne in the leaf axils.
The principle constituents of Karela are charantin, lectins, and momordicine. Karela has well known result in diabetes mellitus. Karela is also very beneficial in a lot of other disorders that have been troubling mankind.
Serving size:1 Capsule
Servings per container: 60
Each capsule contains 200 mg Karela Herb extract
Action A herb that helps regulate blood sugar levels and keeps body functions operating normally.
Indication It is used in Diabetes Mellitus
Dosage 1 capsule twice a day after meals with water.
Buy Bitter Melon(Karela) Supplements
Benefits of Bitter Melon /Karela
Karela (Bitter Melon) achieve positive sugar regulating effect by suppressing the neural response to sweet taste stimuli.
it has shown significant lipogenic activity and antilipolytic.
Karela is a good blood purifier
It treats worm manifestations
Bitter Melon stimulates pancreas, liver and helps in good absoption of food
Bitter Melon (Karela) is helpful as an emetic, in piles,purgative, as an anthelmentic, and jaundice
A very talked about herb world wide having powers to maintain the level of blood sugar also helpful in the infection in the body. It is helpful in triggering the endocrine system of the body.
Following are the functions that karela performs in the body
In Ayurveda, the fruit is considered as antibilous, tonic , emetic, laxative, stomachic, stimulant and alternative. It has been found to be very good in Diabetes.
The fruit is helpful in gout, rheumatism and cases of the spleen and. It is supposed to purify blood, gross humours and dissipate melancholia . It has also shown to have hypoglycaemic properties (anti diabetic) in animal.
Karela in Ayurveda:
As per Ayurveda, Karela is kapha and pitta suppressant. Due to its properties it is very useful in cooling the body so as to suppress the skin related problems caused by the surplus of pitta. Bitter Gourd (Karela) also improves wound healing. Due to its rasa it is very helpful in normalizing the digestive tract and also useful in improving peristaltic activities in the body. Due to its bitter taste it is helpful in suppressing worm infestation. It is useful in curbing infections in the body and in regularizing the urinary tract. Karela has remarkable properties in maintaining the blood sugar level.
According to Ayurveda, Karela's gunna or properties are that it is light (laghu) and ruksh (dry). It's rasa or pungent or taste is katu and bitter and tickta . Its potency or Virya is hot or ushan.
It is beneficial in regulating carbohydrate metabolism. It also increases body’s resistance against infection due to its vitamin content and high mineral.
Health Benefits of Karela
• It secrete all the secretions properly and stimulates pancreas to work .
• It is also helps in treating diabetes mellitus as it has an action like to insulin thus helping in glucose metabolism.
• Bitter gourd (Karela) helps in stimulating liver for proper secretions of bile juices.
• It useful in easier digestion of food as it promotes secretion of digestive enzymes.
• It also used in good assimilation of food.
• It workings as an appetizer.
• It also helps in purifying blood
• It is commonly used in skin diseases especially it finds it application in black spots on face and acne.
• Bitter melon (Karela) works as an anti-inflammatory agent thus serving in subduing any kind of oedema present on body.
• It is widely used in chronic cough as it has expectorant properties and helps in releasing the sputum accumulated in lungs and respiratory tract. Asthmatic patients are believed to have a good relief if it is regularly taken.
• It works as a female tonic thereby useful in female genital tract related problems and menstrual disorders .
• It also useful in secretion of milk during lactation phase after pregnancy.
• Bitter melon (Karela) has high anti bacterial properties and is very effectual in healing wounds injuries.
• It is very useful in external application on any kind of skin disease due to its anti microbial action
Disclaimer:The statements regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. If you have a constant health state or your symptoms are rigorous, seek advice from a well qualified medical doctor. Content on the above page about physical and mental conditions and remedies have not been checked by the U.S. FDA.