Arthritis is not just a combination of minor aches and pains, it can be permanently unbearable. There is no cure for arthritis but an effective treatment can not only control the disease but also help dealing easily with it. Generally the treatment focuses on purging the cause of the arthritis. It can be a long process to find a suitable treatment because every patient may have different history and symptoms of disease.
· Decreasing signs/symptoms
· Slowing down the development of the disease
· Prevent Joint damage
· Conserve flexibility and mobility
Medication- Medications are usual treatment for arthritis. They prevent damage of joints, control other symptoms and lessens swelling and stiffness. Basic categories of medication are-
1) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs called as NSAID
These are in use from past 30 years. These are used in treatment of arthritis because of their painkilling, anti inflammatory and fever reducing properties. These drugs can cause serious side effects.
These are used to relieve pain. They block pain signals going to brain and interfere with brain’s interpretation. Painkillers are of two types- narcotics and non-narcotics. Painkillers can cause drowsiness. Side effects of painkillers include respiratory depression, vomiting, constipation or itching etc.
3) Corticosteroids called as steroids
The effect of steroids is so strong that earlier it was called cure of arthritis. But as the time passed, the side effects came into light like increasing the probability of reaction, decreasing injury healing etc. It is used orally to reduce inflammation in joints. It blocks the production of allergic substances.
4) Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs called as DMARDs
DMARDs decrease inflammation by modifying the immune system to slow the disease process. It is a slow acting drug because it takes 6-8 months to induce a response. It is a long term solution to control the symptoms.
5) Biologic Drugs
Biologics is a newer drug class which encourage the ability of the immune system to fight against disease or infection. It has been seen that biologics can slow down joint damage. Some people, who have prior history of multiple sclerosis or recurrent infections, should not be given biological drugs. If patient is having symptoms of infection, then the dosage of these drugs should be stopped.
Arthritis patients can safely use this herbal preparation since Arthrella has been used by hundreds of thousands of people across the world. The active ingredients present in Arthrella have been used in traditional medicinal system as arthritis cure. Regular usage of Arthrella not only gives relief to manifested symptoms of arthritis but it can also enables the body to fight against various factors that are known to raise the condition of arthritis and other musculo-skeletal problems.
Shallaki is used as an anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic extract in Ayurveda. Its anti-inflammatory action is used for the treatment of gout, low back pain, myositis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibrositis. The therapeutic action of a standardized Shallaki extract includes decrease of joint restoration, swellings, and improvement of blood supply to inflamed joints, increased mobility, pain relief and amelioration of morning stiffness.
– Several injections can be locally given to a painful joint. The number of injections that can be given to joints, are limited.
– These are also referred as alternative treatments, which can be used with medications but not alone. Massage, acupressure, acupuncture, yoga etc are some natural treatments.
– It is not very popular among people and is opted when all other treatments are not working on patient. It is done to rebuild or replace the joint in order to decrease pain and make the joints functional. Synovial fluid can be injected to arthritic joint to temporarily postpone the surgery.
- Eating balanced diet and doing regular exercise also helps in treating arthritis. Exercise reduces pain and makes the muscles and bones strong. It also maintains flexibility.